Monthly Archives:December 2019
Just a few mentions of what our school has been doing for the past four months:-
- School Walk
Sunday October 6th was the date of our annual school walk. The Board of Management would like to thank all those who helped to make the school walk a success again this year, those who attended on the day, those who helped out on the day and all who contributed so generously. To date, the contributions have amounted to €2,373.00. Any outstanding money is still welcome.
We have 18 students for Confirmation this year. The students celebrated their Enrolment Ceremony on the weekend of November 16th/17th. The date for the Confirmation ceremony, which will take place in Kilfinny Church, is Tuesday April 28th at 11.00am.
- Parent / Teacher Meetings
We held our parent/teacher meetings on October 22nd and 23rd. We would like to thank all those who attended.
- One October 21st the 3rd class boys travelled to NCW to compete in a soccer tournament. They won 2 games and lost 1.
- The school is taking part in the Active Flag for Schools Campaign. Students in Mr. Wallace and Mrs. Lawlor’s class have to complete 538 laps of the schoolyard, which equates to the distance from Croagh to Madrid. We are presently waiting for an Active School Flag assessor to visit our school.
- Rathkeale & District Credit Union
We were delighted to see so many fantastic entries into this year’s Rathkeale & District Credit Union Art competition entitled ‘Walk of Life’. Unfortunately, we had no winners this year.
- Christmas Shoe Box Appeal
Our contribution to the Christmas shoebox appeal was 61 shoeboxes. 9,988 Shoeboxes from Limerick are being sent to the Ukraine and Burundi. Well done to all.
Over the past term we have had a couple of visitors to our school:-
- As part of her work experience for transition year, we welcomed back past pupil Clodagh. Clodagh was here every Monday and we thank her for all her help during her time with us.
- We also had Mr. Maher, a Mary I student for the week of October 7th to 11th. Mr. Maher is undertaking a Masters. We wish him well with his studies.
- In early October, we welcomed the local gardaí. They will return later in the year to speak to the senior class.
- To celebrate National Science Week, all the students from 2nd class upwards travelled to a Science Show in St. Anne’s National School. It was a most enjoyable trip.
- Christmas Outing
Both students and staff really enjoyed a wonderful trip to see ‘Santa’s Fairy Tale Christmas’ in LIT on Thursday December 12th. The students were very well behaved and are a credit to their families.
- Nursing Home
The children from 3rd to 6th class visited the Adare & District Nursing Home on Wednesday to play music and sing Christmas carols for all the residents and staff. Thanks to all the parents who accommodated the late collection time on the day.
We wish to extend our sincere thanks to Mr. Anglim our music teacher. We thank him for all his time in preparing the students for their music exams and his continued involvement in all events in the school such as Confirmation/Communion masses, visit to the nursing home, recitals, etc.
- Date to Remember
The school will be closed on Friday January 24th 2020 to accommodate staff training.
- School Reminders
- If, for whatever reason there is a change in your contact details or in the person collecting your child(ren) from the school, this must be given in writing to the class teacher beforehand.
- Healthy Lunches – Children are encouraged to have healthy lunches at all times. If a parent wishes, children may have a treat on Fridays. Junk food does not help concentration.
- Uniforms– The school encourages neat uniform dress at all times. Please, please put names on jumpers and coats!
- School Premises – Board of Management would like to state that parents are responsible for their children who are on the school premises before 9.00am or after 2.40pm.
- Notes for Absences – Please remember to give a note to your child when he/she is returning to school after being absent, in accordance with The Educational Act 1998. Also notes are required if you want your child to leave during the school day or if they will be arriving at a later time than 9am.
- Please remember that no parent can take another person’s child from the school without written notification to staff in advance.
- School Gate – Important – We request your co-operation in keeping the school gate clear at all times. This is necessary on Health & Safety Grounds.
- The teaching staff are unable to accommodate incidental visits. If you need to discuss any issue with any staff member, we kindly ask that you make an appointment in advance. Our secretary Sinead is in the office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 9.00am to 1.00pm.
- Christmas Closure
School will close on Friday December 20th for the Christmas Holidays. School will reopen on Monday January 6thth 2020 at 9am.
- The staff of Croagh National School would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas and to thank you for your co-operation in 2019. Guím beannachtaí na Nollag ar gach duine agus athbhliain faoi shéan agus faoi mhaise daoibh go léir.