June 22nd 2018
Firstly, may I take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support and cooperation throughout the year. Just to bring you up to date with what has been happening in our busy school over the past few months.
- Confirmation took place on Thursday the 3rd of May in Croagh Church. Bishop Brendan Leahy celebrated the Mass. We would like to give a big thank you to all those who helped in any way and especially all of the class who had various jobs on the day.
- First Holy Communion Ceremony took place on Saturday May 19th. It was a beautiful Mass. Special thanks to Mr. Anglim and our guest organist Sarah who played at both ceremonies.
- Our Graduation Mass took place in Croagh on Wed last June 20th. Well done to all students.
- We would like to thank Mr. Anglim for all his work over the past year. All the children from 3rd to 6th completed their RIAM music recorder exam on May 15th and received honours and distinctions.
- We held our annual music recital last Wednesday. Thanks to all the family and friends that came to enjoy the children’s wonderful musical talents.
Discover Primary Science
- The school received a Discover Primary Science & Maths Award of Excellence for the work the children completed in science, technology, engineering and maths.
- Thanks to everyone who supported our Science Day in May.
Lenrec Recycling Collection
- We again had a couple of collections of old clothes/mobile phones. The money raised is given to our Green Schools committee for improvements to our school.
- We would like to thank Mr. Dee for his role as GAA coach. He has very kindly given up his own time to help with training and transporting the children to all their games.
- On February 26th Mr. Wallace and Mr. Dee took a male and female team to the FAI Schools Soccer Tournament in Corbally. Both teams played very well and progressed to the next round to be held on April 12th. Unfortunately, the boys failed to progress further in the competition but the girls won out their group and progressed to the Munster final, which was held in Tralee on May 9th. Again the girls played really well. They won 3 out of their 4 matches to secure a place in the final. Clare proved to be a tough team. It was a very exciting game but again the opposition got a late goal to secure the win. It was a fantastic achievement to get so far in the national competition. Well done to all the players. Thanks to Mr. Wallace and Mr Dee for all their time and effort.
- On March 14th our boys competed in the boys indoor 5 a side hurling school league held in NCW. They won their first match against Ballingarry but unfortunately lost against Mahoonagh in the semi-final.
- On March 15th our girls competed in the girls indoor 5 a side camogie. They won their first match against the Gaelscoil but again were unlucky not to win their semi-final against Templeglantine.
- Our girls camogie team participated in the Division 2 camogie blitz held in Mick Neville park on May 21st. They played very well but didn’t come out the winners on the day.
- Our boys hurling team took part in the Division 2 11 a side hurling league. They played Feenagh/Kilmeedy and Dromcollogher. They played very well with one win.
- Coláiste na Trocaire invited us to participate in their annual hurling blitz which was held on May 30th. The boys played very well and beat Ardagh in the final to win the Shield.
- Well done to all the boys and girls for representing their school.
Over the past term, we have had a couple of visitors to our school.
- March 5th we welcomed our Mayor to our school. He donated a lovely oak tree to our school and planted it in the front green area close to the church. It is growing well.
- We would like to thank the Mayor who took time out from his busy schedule to raise our 4th Green Flag on Wednesday June 20th. The Mayor was very generous to treat all our pupils to the ice-cream van.
- Past pupil Sarah spent one week of work experience in our school as part of her TY year. She also assisted during Confirmation and Holy Communion.
- Thanks to Mr. Geary who called into the school on April 13th to speak to the children about his career in engineering.
- April 27th we had a visit from Ms. Behan for our school religion inspection. All went very well.
- May 29th saw our yearly visit from Ms. M. Murphy. Ms. Murphy covers the sensitive issues regarding the RSE program with 5th and 6th
- Rachel from the RSA visited the school on June 21st to remind children about road safety.
- Angela, the An Taisce Green Schools Co-Ordinator visited the school on a regular basis to work with the committee. As you may already know, we have been successful if securing our 4th green flag which covers the topic of Travel.
- Thanks to all the green-schools committee, the students and their families for helping us to achieve this flag. All the ‘Walk on Wednesday’ paid off!
- Juniors & Seniors travelled to Stonehall Farm in Curraghchase on Wednesday June 13th. They were given a tour of the farm, met the animals and had play time in the indoor play area.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd class travelled to a cookery school in Annacotty where they baked muffins, pizza and tried their hand at icing some cupcakes. They had some playtime in Manor Fields Park in Adare on the way home.
- Students in 4th, 5th and 6th travelled to Clare on June 21st. They had a guided tour of Ardnacrusha Power Station followed by some water fun and hot food in the Lakeside Hotel in Killalloe.
- We extend our thanks to Mr. Wallace after his year with us. We wish him well in his future teaching roles.
- We look forward to the return of Ms. Tobin after her career break while she furthered her studies.
- Miss Murphy will be taking a year out next year to become a full time student herself. So on behalf of the school community I wish her the very best as she completes her doctorate. While we will all miss her terribly we will be looking forward to her return.
- We wish all the exiting pupils from 6th class the very best of luck next year in their new schools. Go neirí an bóthar libh Ann Marie, Billy, Faye, Keelin, Maurice, Owen and Sarah.
The staff and I would like to wish you all a very sunny, safe and enjoyable summer holidays.